In early May Google made some adjustments to their product taxonomy. Customers using the ‘Others’ category or a category not specific to their products will now need to specify the specific ‘Category Taxonomy’ of their products.
How does one do this?
Step 1: Activating Google taxonomy
1. Go to your store admin panel
2. System>Configurations>Sales>Google API>Google Shopping
3. Once here, you should see an option called “Google Product Taxonomy”. Click the “Update Google Taxonomy” button
4. You will get a new list, select the category that most closely resembles your products and hit “Update Google Taxonomy” button, then do “Save Config”
Step 2: Apply taxonomy to attributes
1. Go to Catalog > Google Content> Manage Attributes
2. Select the Attribute set that has been mapped or “Add new”
3. Under Google Product Category, hit “Select Category”
4. Then select down to the exact product category you will be uploading to Google and press “Select Category”
5. Save Mapping
This should send the exact product category type to Google so that your products are validated!