A great user experience can create a loyal following with shoppers but a bad experience could damage your business and reputation.
For small eCommerce merchants, your customer’s site experience doesn’t have to be fancy or elaborate; sometimes simple sites offer the best experience. It’s more important that your site be clear and streamlined. Craigslist is a great example. It has a no-frills look, but it’s so easy to use that it has become synonymous with online classifieds.
To make your web store experience user-friendly, you can start with our Customer Site Experience Checklist below. In subsequent posts, we’ll surface a few eCommerce tools that can take your user experience to the next level--gift cards, wish lists and your web store’s search function.
The Customer Site Experience Checklist
Give your customers the best user experience possible by creating a solid interface and then regularly maintaining and revamping it to ensure that things are running smoothly.
- First things first. Look at your web store through your customer’s eyes. Be your own shopper and complete a mock transaction to ensure that everything in your web store is working properly.
- Check your navigation. Make sure that all your links work. Add more categories and filters to create a more robust layered navigation. Use breadcrumbs so that shoppers can easily identify where they are on your web store.
- Make sure your branding, colors and logo are consistent across your web store, including blog, email marketing and customer communications.
- Cross-sell and upsell on your product pages and at checkout. Regularly update these complementary products. Make sure they’re relevant to your customers.
- Make sure all your prices and product descriptions are clearly written and include all necessary information, like sizes and colors. Many merchants don’t realize that shoppers spend most of their time on product pages as opposed to the homepage, so those sections need to be clear and intuitive.
- If you’re running a promotion, keep any terms associated with the promo easy to understand and clearly visible.
- Do a search for your web store on the major search engines. Is it coming up in searches for your top keywords? If not, do an SEO maintenance run. Optimize your keywords, title tags, meta-descriptions and page titles.
- Keep your product images, including any other photos you might be showcasing, up-to-date. Use good, clear, focused photos. Give shoppers several angles, through alternate views, zoom, different sizes and colors, and even videos.
- Incorporate customer feedback you’ve received through phone calls, emails, surveys, Facebook,Twitter or blog posts.
- Streamline your checkout process. The fewer steps the better. Enable one-page checkout and turn on PayPal Express Checkout. Make sure customers can easily find your checkout button.
- Make registration simple and optional. Many shoppers don’t like to register. In fact, it’s one of the biggest causes of abandoned shopping carts. With Magento, you can let customers checkout without registering. Give them the option to register at the end of checkout so that they can follow their account and save their information for future use.
- Search for products using your web store’s internal search field. Input various keywords to make sure the appropriate products appear. Add any keywords that may be missing, including common synonyms and misspellings.
- If a product is out of stock, clearly state it but don’t remove it. Capture contact information to secure future orders when product is available. No one likes empty promises so if you plan on capturing a customer’s contact information, be committed to informing the customer when product is in stock.
Registrations are filling up fast so don’t delay and secure your spot at Magento’s premier eCommerce conference. We have had an overwhelming response since registration opened on Tuesday at 12:00pm PT and expect to sell out of the discounted early bird tickets by the end of the weekend! Register now before the first $100 price increase goes into effect. Still trying to decide if you should attend the 2013 Imagine eCommerce Conference?
Here’s a quick reminder of some of the many reasons to join us:
- Hear firsthand from the Magento leadership team and world-renowned guest speakers on technology, retail, entrepreneurial spirit and building success
- Meet and hear about our new family members and leadership from eBay
- Attend sessions on Magento and eCommerce technologies, merchant case studies, building your business and many other topics
- See the latest apps and extensions to drive conversation, traffic and lifetime customer value
- Learn best practices from professionals with vast experience in leading brands, retailers and eCommerce sites
- Network with more than 1,500 eCommerce professionals from around the world
If You Miss Out on Early Bird Pricing, There is Always the Imagine Challenge!
Every year we offer an opportunity for Magento community members to win a trip to Imagine! Magento enthusiasts can enter the contest by showing off how they are leveraging Magento to create a unique site design, promotion or customization. To view the official rules and enter for your chance to win the grand prize, visit the Imagine Challenge site.
We hope to see you there!
Registration for the 2013 Magento Imagine eCommerce Conference is officially OPEN! Join more than 1500 attendees from 35+ countries to explore The Art of Commerce. If you were with us last year, you know this is an event not to be missed! We look forward to seeing you at this year’s event which is taking place April 8th – 10th at the M Resort in Las Vegas.
Tickets are expected to sell out fast
We’ve sold out the last two years in a row and this year will be no exception. An extremely limited quantity of Early Bird tickets are available for $895, compared to our retail ticket price of $1,195 so don’t miss out, register now.
What’s new for Imagine 2013?
To maximize your time at the conference, we have created even more sessions and networking events on Monday, including the Marketplace Grand Opening. Check out the rest of this year’s agenda and watch last year’s recap video to learn more about the benefits of attending. Also, stay tuned for the brand new Imagine Challenge!
M Resort, Spa and Casino – Rooms available only through registration
The ultra luxurious M Resort in Las Vegas is once again our home for the event. Be near all the excitement and action and book your reservation now before rooms sell out.
What are you waiting for?
Early Bird pricing is only offered through January 29th and could sell out much sooner. We’d love for you to join us at Imagine this year. Register now!
Reminder – Call for Speaker Papers
If you’re an excellent speaker and have compelling information to present, we want to hear from you! Today is the last day to apply to be an Imagine speaker.
For all the updates on Imagine 2013, follow us on Twitter @MagentoImagine and tweet with hashtag #MagentoImagine.
- The Magento Team
It’s hard to believe that 2013 is already here! To wrap up 2012, here is a look at some of the significant changes to the platform and experience that took place during the course of the year:
Magento Go Launches New UK Site and Features
At Magento, we’re always looking for ways to improve our product offering to merchants around the world. That is why we created a site specifically for our UK based merchants and added new UK relevant features to our Magento Go offering. The new UK site features localized content and has been modified to reflect current UK tax laws and shipping regulations as well as the new UK cookie law. For more information about the launch, please click here.
Google Search Goes Live on the Magento Go Site
To make it easier for our merchants to navigate our site, we added Google Search! You can now search for any topic using the search feature in the universal navigation bar on top of every page. The new search functionality scans all sections of the site including our knowledge base and provides results which can be filtered by content type to better narrow the outcomes. So if you’re more comfortable watching a video than reading a knowledge base article, this will help you filter the results accordingly. We hope this new feature will greatly enhance the usability of the Go site and make it easier for you to find what you’re looking for, faster.
Magento Go Welcomes Affiliate Marketing
Many of you have asked for a way to integrate your stores with affiliate marketing services. This year we announced an affordable solution for our merchants. For around $10 per month, Affiliate Go allows you to integrate your store with top affiliate programs such as Commission Junction, LinkShare, Zferral and more. Check out the Affiliate Go site to learn more.
| || |
The Magento eCommerce Resource Library Arrives
The Magento eCommerce Resource Library uses the expertise of Magento’s Industry and Solution Partners to give merchants a better understanding of eCommerce and provide ways for you to enhance your Magento store. Check it out!
| || |
Magento Go Receives Re-Certification for PCI Compliance
Whether you operate a small or large business online or offline, compliance with the PCI Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a vital component to keeping your customers’ credit card information secure. Magento Go has always been a PCI compliant site but PCI compliance is an ongoing process. You must continuously monitor your operations in order to fix any vulnerabilities. Magento Go received re-certification for its compliance in March of 2012. This means your credit card information continues to be kept safe through every transaction you make on our site and you can rest assured that you are protected against any data security breaches. To learn more about PCI compliance, visit pcisecuritystandards.org or to view our certificate click here.
Next year we expect to share many additional improvements and exciting changes to the platform. Stay tuned to your emails and our blog for upcoming announcements.
- The Magento Team
Welcome to RU4Real Adventures, your site for all things active. From fishing and hunting to watersports and active wear, this site has you covered! Have a look.