Adding a Custom SSL Certificate
Merchants who accept credit cards are required by the Payment Card Industry (PCI) to process transactions over a securely encrypted channel. An SSL certificate verifies that all transactions take place over the encrypted secure socket layer (SSL). The secure session is established when the customer begins the checkout process, or whenever other sensitive information is shared. During the secure transaction, a padlock icon appears in the address bar of your browser, and the URL prefix changes from http:// to https://.
You must have a custom domain before you can purchase a custom security certificate for your store.
If you have a custom domain, but without your own security certificate, the URL switches over to the secure channel on the gostorego domain during the transaction. Having your own custom SSL keeps your customers in your domain throughout the transaction.
To purchase the SSL certificate:
- Log in to your Magento account.
- From your account dashboard, in the My Magento Go Stores section, find the listing for your store and click the Purchase SSL button.
- In the SSL Product section, do the following:
- Select the SSL provider you want to use.
- Specify whether you would like to purchase Extended Validation, and the Duration/Term of the license for your SSL certificate. A running price total is displayed below the options.
- Click the Next Step button.
- Complete the Organizational Info section with all the information required to contact your business:
- Enter the First Name and Last Name of the business owner or other person who is responsible for the domain, and the Main Phone Number used to contact that person.
- In the Business/Store Name field, enter your company’s full legal name. Do not use any abbreviations or unregistered acronyms. (Legally registered identifiers, such as Inc., Corp., or LLC, are acceptable.) Then, enter the Title and Email address of the person identified as the organizational contact.
- In the Organization Address field, enter the physical street address of your business. Do not enter a post office box number for the organization address.
- Enter the City, State/Province or province, and ZIP/Postal code. Then, select the Organization Country where your business is located.
- Complete the Admin Contact section with the contact information for the person who administrates the day-to-day tasks related to your store. Then, click the Continue button at the bottom of the section.
It is very important to enter the information in these fields correctly. Symantec may need to contact you to verify your information before your SSL purchase is completed.
- In the SSL Payment Information section, select the payment method you want to use. Verify that the billing address listed above the payment methods is correct. Then, click the Continue button.
SSL Payment Information
- In the SSL Order Review section, verify the certificate options and the information you have entered, and click the Place Order button.
Setting Up a Custom Domain
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.