In addition to the standard layered navigation, anchor categories appear in an additional section that lets you filter the list by attribute value. The attribute section of layered navigation appears if the category is set to “Is Anchor.” Each attribute can be configured to display the results, which is the number of matching records found.
The attribute properties, combined with the product properties, determine which attributes can be used as filters for layered navigation. Only those with the catalog input type of Dropdown, Multiple Select or Price can be used as filterable attributes. In addition, the number of anchor categories and filterable attributes you have available is determined by your Magento Go plan.
|Magento Go Plan||Categories||Anchor Categories||Filterable Attributes
Setting up anchored layered navigation is a two-step process. First, you need to set up the filterable attributes. Then, make the category an anchor.
Step 1: Set the Attribute Properties
- From the Admin menu, select Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes.
- Click to open the attribute in Edit mode, and do the following:
- Scroll down to the Frontend Properties section, and set Use In Layered Navigation to one of the following:
- Filterable (with results)
- Filterable (no results)
- Set Use In Search Results Layered Navigation to “Yes.”
Step 2: Make the Category an Anchor
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Manage Categories.
- In the Categories panel on the left, click to open the category. Then, do the following:
- On the Display Settings tab, set Is Anchor to “Yes.”
- Click the Save Category button.
- To test the setting, go to your store and select the category from the top navigation. The layered navigation with filters will appear in the left sidebar of the page.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.