Category Custom Design
The Custom Design tab gives you control over the look and feel of the category and all assigned product pages, including the content blocks and page layout.
You can customize a category page its assigned products for a promotion or to differentiate the category from others and increase sales. For example, you might develop distinctive design for a brand or special line of products.
To create a custom category design:
- If the parent category of the selected category has already been customized and you want to use same settings, set Use Parent Category Settings to “Yes.”
- To apply the design to all the products in the category, set Apply to Products to “Yes.” Otherwise, the customization applies to only the category page.
- To apply a different theme to the category, select the theme you want to use from the Custom Theme list.
- To apply the category design during a specific range of time, click the calendar and select both the Active From and Active To dates. Otherwise, the design takes effect when you save the changes to the category.
You can easily change the layout of the category page by selecting one of the default layouts.
- Click the Save Category button to save your changes.
|Use Parent Category
||To inherit the design settings from the parent category set this option to “Yes.” Options include: Yes / No
|Apply to Products
||To apply the custom settings to all products in the category, set to “Yes.” Options include: Yes / No
||Select the custom theme you want to apply from the list of available themes.
||If using a custom theme for a period of time, enter the beginning date, or select the date from the calendar.
||If using a custom theme for a period of time, enter the ending date, or select the date from the calendar.
||To apply a different layout to the category page, select one of
- No layout updates: This option is preselected by default and does not apply layout changes to the category.
- Empty: This option lets you define your own page layout.(Requires an understanding of XML)
- 1 column: Applies a one-column layout to the category.
- 2 columns with left bar: Applies a two-column layout with a left sidebar to the category.
- 2 columns with right bar: Applies a two-column layout with a right sidebar to the category.
- 3 columns: Applies a three-column layout to the category.
- Custom Layout Update: You can further customize the theme with XML coding. See the Desgin & Theme section of the Magento Go User Guide to learn more about customizing themes.