Changing the Page Layout
The initial page layout settings used throughout your store are determined by the theme. However, you can override the default layout by changing the layout of specific pages. You can achieve some interesting results if you experiment with different page column layouts. For example, some built-in blocks are associated with a specific column. If the column is not visible, then the blocks associated with it will not appear in the store. Just because your theme uses a certain page layout, doesn’t mean that you can’t change it!
For example, the Product Compare block is initially associated with the right column. So if your theme uses a one-column layout for the category page, the Product Compare block will not be visible. However, you can make it appear by changing the page layout of the category to a two-column with right bar layout.
To change the home page layout:
- From the Admin menu, select CMS > Pages > Manage Content.
- Find your home page in the list and click to open the record.
- In the Page Information panel on the left, select Design. Then in the Page Layout section, set Layout to a different column configuration.
- When complete, click the Save Page button.
To change the category page layout:
- From the Admin menu, select Catalog > Manage Categories.
- In the Categories tree, select the category level you want to change.
- On the Custom Design tab, set Page Layout to “2 columns with right bar.”
- Click the Save Category button.
To change the product page layout:
- From the Admin menu, select Catalog > Manage Products.
- Find the product in the list, and click to open the record.
- In the Product Information panel on the left, select Design. Then in the Design section, set Page Layout to a different column configuration.
- When complete, click the Save button.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.