Creating Custom Options
Custom options provide an easy way to offer a selection of product variations to your customer. The limitations are that you cannot track inventory based on any variation, and that a product with custom options cannot be used in a one-to-many relationship with a configurable, grouped, or bundle product. Custom options are a good solution if your inventory needs are simple and you have a limited number of available SKUs.
To create custom options:
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Manage Products.
- In the list, click to open the product record.
- In the Product Information panel on the left, select Custom Options.
- In the upper-right corner, click the Add New Option button. Then, complete the following fields:
Add New Option
- Enter a Title to be used as a label for this option.
- Select the Input Type for this field, such as text or dropdown.
- Set Is Required to “Yes,” if the customer must make an entry in this field to continue.
- To control the sequence of options, enter a number in the Sort Order field to determine the sequence of this option when listed with other options. The number 1 puts this option at the list.
- Click the Add New Row button to add a row for the product variation. Then, complete the following:
Add New Row
- Enter a Title to be used as a label for this variation.
- If applicable, enter the Price of the variation as a markup or markdown from the base price of the product.
- Set Price Type to one of the following:
- Fixed: Sets the price of the option to a fixed amount, such as $1.
- Percentage: Sets the price of the option to a percentage of the base price of the product, such as 10%.
- Enter the SKU for the option. The option SKU is a suffix that is added to the SKU of the main product record.
- To control the sequence of options, enter a number in the Sort Order field to determine the sequence of this option when listed with other options. The number 1 puts this option at the list..
- When complete, click the Save button.
How Custom Options and Configurable Product Options Differ
Exporting Custom Options