Creating Custom Options
Custom options provide an easy way to offer a selection of product variations to your customer. The limitations are that you cannot track inventory based on any variation, and that a product with custom options cannot be used in a one-to-many relationship with a configurable, grouped, or bundle product. Custom options are a good solution if your inventory needs are simple and you have a limited number of available SKUs.
To create custom options:
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Manage Products.
- In the list, click to open the product record.
- In the Product Information panel on the left, select Custom Options.
- In the upper-right corner, click the Add New Option button. Then, complete the following fields:
Add New Option
- Enter a Title to be used as a label for this option.
- Select the Input Type for this field, such as text or dropdown.
- Set Is Required to “Yes,” if the customer must make an entry in this field to continue.
- To control the sequence of options, enter a number in the Sort Order field to determine the sequence of this option when listed with other options. The number 1 puts this option at the list.
- Click the Add New Row button to add a row for the product variation. Then, complete the following:
Add New Row
- Enter a Title to be used as a label for this variation.
- If applicable, enter the Price of the variation as a markup or markdown from the base price of the product.
- Set Price Type to one of the following:
- Fixed: Sets the price of the option to a fixed amount, such as $1.
- Percentage: Sets the price of the option to a percentage of the base price of the product, such as 10%.
- Enter the SKU for the option. The option SKU is a suffix that is added to the SKU of the main product record.
- To control the sequence of options, enter a number in the Sort Order field to determine the sequence of this option when listed with other options. The number 1 puts this option at the list..
- When complete, click the Save button.
How Custom Options and Configurable Product Options Differ
Exporting Custom Options
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.