Creating a Grouped Product
A Grouped Product lets you offer multiple, standalone products for sale as a group on the same Product Detail page. You can offer variations of a single product, or group them by season or theme to create a coordinated set. Products can be purchased separately, or as part of the group. Each product purchased appears in the Shopping Cart as a separate item.
Grouped Products can include the following associated product types:
Product Detail Page
The Product Detail page of a Grouped Product displays the image and description from the Grouped Product record, and lists the name of each associated product with the price, and input box for the quantity ordered.
Product Detail Page
In the Product List, the price of a Grouped Product shows the “Starting at” price of the lowest priced item in the group.
Grouped Product Listing
To Create a Grouped Product:
Step 1: Create the Grouped Product Record
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Manage Products. Then, click the Add Product button.
- In the Create Product Settings section, select the Attribute Set that you want to use as a template for the product record.
Catalog > Manage Products: Add Product - Create Product Settings
- Make sure the Use Complex Product Types checkbox is selected. Then, set Product Type to “Grouped Product” and click the Continue button.
- Complete the Product Information as you would for a Simple product, with the following exceptions:
- On the Prices tab, a Grouped Product record has no Price field or associated settings because the price of items in the group originates from the associated product records.
- On the Inventory tab, you can set Qty Increments and Stock Availability for the group has a whole, but the inventory of individual items is managed by the associated product records.
- Click the Save and Continue button.
Step 2: Add the Associated Products
- In the Product Information panel on the left, select the last option, Associated Products.
- Do the following for each item in the list that you want to include in the group:
- Select the checkbox of the item you want to include.
- In the Default Qty column, enter the initial quantity of this item that you want to include in the group.
- In the Position column, enter a number to determine the order of this item in relation to others in the group.
Select Associated Products
Note: If you are using the Search Filter boxes, you can click the Reset Filter button to clear the filter and display all available records.
- When complete, click the Save button.
Configuring Thumbnail Images
The thumbnail in the shopping cart can be set to display the image from the Grouped product record (Parent Product Thumbnail), or the image from the associated product (Product Thumbnail Itself). This setting applies to all Grouped products in the store or current view.
To configure the thumbnail images:
System > Configuration: Sales - Shopping Cart
- From the Admin panel, select System > Configuration.
- In the Configuration panel on the left, under Sales, select Checkout.
- In the Shopping Cart section, set Grouped Product Image to one of the following:
- Product Thumbnail Itself
- Parent Product Thumbnail
- Click the Save Config button to save the setting.
Points to Remember
- A Grouped Product is essentially a collection of associated products.
- Simple and Virtual products associated with a Grouped Product cannot have Custom Variants and Options.
- Each item purchased appears individually in the shopping cart, rather than as part of the group.