Creating Attribute Sets
After you have created the attributes you need for a product, you can group them into an attribute set. The attribute set determines which fields are available to describe an item in your catalog. Generally, you will have a separate attribute set for each type of product.
Attributes are not exclusive to one attribute set or another; you can assign an attribute (such as Color) to as many attribute sets as you want.
To create an attribute set, do the following:
- In the Admin Panel, select Catalog > Attributes> Manage Attribute Sets.
- Click the [Add New Set] button to display Edit Set Name page where you can define a new attribute set.
- In the Name field, specify the name of the attribute set.
- In the Based On field, select another attribute set from which this Attribute Set is to inherit. This feature enables you to reuse the attributes that are already defined in an attribute set to build another attribute set.
- Click [ Save Attribute Set ] button to create the attribute set.
The top left of the page shows the name of the attribute set. You can edit the name.
The center of the page shows a hierarchical tree representing attribute groups.
The right side of the page shows a list of attributes that have been defined and are available to add to this attribute set.
- Select an attribute to be assigned to this attribute set by dragging it from the Unassigned Attributes area on the right into the relevant attribute group in Groups area in the middle.
- Click the [Save Attribute Set] button.
Note: System Attributes are indicted by an icon with an orange dot. These attributes are defined for every attribute set. You cannot remove them from an attribute set, but you can drag them to another Group within an attribute set.
Working with Attribute Groups
Attribute groups make it easy to organize attributes in an attribute set. To add an attribute group, do the following:
- Click the [Add New] button in the Groups area to display a dialog box asking for the Group name.
- Specify the name of the new group and click OK.
- Click and drag Attributes from the Unassigned Attributes area or from another group into the newly created group to assign them to this group.
- You can also click and drag Attributes that are already assigned to move them between groups.
- To delete a group, select it in the tree and click the [Delete Selected Group] button. Doing so removes any attributes in that group from the attribute set.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.