Every product in your catalog must be assigned to at least one category. Before you can build your product records, you must first establish the basic category structure of your catalog.
Step 1: Create a Category
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Manage Categories.
- In the Categories panel on the left, click to select the level that you want to be the parent of the new category. This is the level just above where the category will appear.
If you’re starting from the beginning without sample data, there will be only two categories in the list “Default Category,” which is the root, and “Example Category,” which can become the first option in the top navigation of your store, with additional subcategories nested below. The number of nested subcategories possible is determined by your system configuration.
- Click the Add Subcategory button.
Step 2: Complete the General Information
- Type the Name of the category.
- Do any of the following:
- In the Description box, enter a paragraph or two of descriptive text to accompany the products on the page.
- At the Image field, click the Browse button to upload an image for the page.
- Wait until the next step to choose a static block for the category page.
- Do the following:
- Enter a descriptive Page Title.
- Complete the Meta Keywords.
- Complete the Meta Description.
- Set Is Active to “Yes.”
- To include the subcategory in the main menu of your store, set Include in Navigational
Menu to “Yes.”
- Assign a URL Key to the category.
Do not add the “.html” suffix to the URL key, because the suffix is managed by your system
Step 3: Complete the Display Settings
You can configure the category landing page to display both a static block and product list, or one or the other. A static block can provide additional information, including text, images, and even embedded video.
- On the Display Settings tab, do the following:
- Set Display Mode to one of the following:
- Products Only
- Static Block Only
- Static Block and Products
- If applicable, set CMS Block to the static block that you want to appear on the
- If you want this category page to display the “filter by attribute” section of layered navigation, set Is Anchor to “Yes.”
- Clear the checkbox under Default Product Listing Sort By. Then select one of the available values to sort the list. By default, all available attributes are listed. The default values typically include:
- When complete, click the Save Category button.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.