Invoicing an Order
An invoice is a record of the receipt of payment for an order. Creating an invoice for an order converts the temporary sales order into a permanent record of the order, which cannot be canceled. Multiple invoices can be created for a single order, each containing as much or as few of the purchased products that you specify.
Step 1: Submit the Invoice
- From the Admin menu, select Sales > Orders.
- In the Status column of the row with the Pending order, click View.
- Click the Invoice button.
For orders with online payment methods where you have chosen “Authorize and Capture,” this button does not appear. A new invoice page looks very similar to a completed order page, with some additional fields that can be edited.
- To add a tracking number, scroll down to the Shipping Information section and click the Add Tracking Number button. Then, do the following:
- Select a shipping Carrier.
- The Title is entered automatically when you select the carrier, and can be changed as needed.
- Enter the Tracking Number for the order.
Payment and Shipping Information
- If your items are ready to ship, select the Create Shipment checkbox to create a packing slip for the shipment.
- Under the Invoice History menu, enter the Invoice Comments, as needed. Then, in the Invoice Totals section, select the Append Comments checkbox to add the comments to the invoice.
- Select the Email Copy of Invoice checkbox to send a copy of the invoice to your customer.
- Do one of the following:
- Click the Submit Invoice button to process the invoice and capture the sale.
- If your store requires that you ship before invoicing, click the Ship button, complete the shipping information and submit the shipment. When complete, continue with the next step.
Step 2: Print the Invoice
To view or print the PDF invoice, you can download Adobe Reader at no charge.
- On the Admin menu, select Sales > Invoices.
- In the Invoices list, find the invoice that you want to print. Select the checkbox in the first column to select the invoice. To print multiple invoices, select the checkbox of each invoice to be printed.
Select Invoices to Print
- Set the Actions list box to “PDF Invoices”. Then, click the Submit button to generate the PDF and display the document in a new window.
- To view the invoice from the Invoice list, click the View link on the far right of the row.
- To print the invoice, do the following:
You can print an invoice for a single order, or for multiple invoices as a batch, or group.
- Click the Print button.
- Download and save the file.
- Open the file with Adobe Reader, and print the invoice.
|Capture Online||Upon invoice submission, the system captures the payment from the third-party payment gateway. You have the ability to create a credit memo and void the invoice.
|Capture Offline||Upon invoice submission, the system does not capture the payment. It is assumed that the payment is captured directly through the gateway, and you no longer have the option to capture this payment through Magento Go. You have the ability to create a credit memo, but you do not have the option to void the invoice. (Even though the order used an online payment, the invoice is essentially an offline invoice.)
|Not Capture||When the invoice is submitted, the system does not capture the payment. It is assumed that you will capture the payment through Magento Go at a later date. There is a Capture button in the completed invoice. Before capturing, you are able to cancel the invoice. After capturing you are able to create a credit memo and void the invoice.
Do not select “Not Capture” unless you are certain that you are going to capture the payment through Magento Go at a later date. You will not be able to create a credit memo until the payment has been captured using the Capture button.
Printing Packing Slips for Shipments
Batch Printing Invoices, Packing Slips, and Credit Memos
Creating Credit Memos
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.