Creating Your Own Home Page
Your home page is really your shop window. It’s the first thing most visitors to your web store will see and should showcase both your brand and your merchandise. In Magento Go, you have full control of your home page content and can lay it out any way you want.
- Create a new CMS page that will be your home page.
- In the Admin Panel, go to the CMS menu and select the Pages submenu and the Manage Content option.
You’ll see a list of all of the “pages” that are currently defined for your web store.
Most of these are here initially just to provide you with examples of different page types you might want in your web store.
The home page in the default store when you first start is called “Home page” with a URL key of “home.” It doesn’t need to be called this, but this makes it easy to find in the list. You can simply edit this page or create a new page that will become your home page. (In this example, we’ll create a new page.)
- Click the Add New Page button to create a new CMS page.
- Edit your a new CMS page to reflect your desired home page design.
Please see the section “Working with Content Pages” for fuller information on creating and editing CMS pages in Magento Go. This is just a very simple and brief example.
- In the Page Information tab, give your new home page a good Title and URL key (these are important for SEO purposes). Fill in all other required information.
- In the Content tab, use the editing window there to insert your home page content. Text, images, HTML and CSS are all allowed. You can also insert Magento frontend Apps into the content area.
- In the Design tab, select the page template to be used for this page.
- In the Meta Data tab, provide a good description for this page that can be used by search engines.
- Click on the Save Page or Save and Continue Edit button in the upper right to save your changes.
- Preview your changes.
- To preview the content page you’re working on, go to the Preview window and modify the URL to have the URL key for this page at the end of it. So if your URL is mystore.com and the URL key you created for this page is us-home, then URL for the content page you’re creating will be mystore.com/us-home.
- Continue to edit your page and check your work using the preview window and the direct URL you identified above.
- Tell Magento to use your new page your store’s home page.
- Go to the System menu and select the Configuration submenu.
- Once in the Configuration area, select the Web tab on the left.
- Click on the Default Pages bar to expand that panel.
- In the CMS Home Page field, select your new CMS page from the drop-down list (the Title of each page in the CMS is shown in this list).
- Click on the Save Config button in the upper right to save your changes.
TIP: If you have more than one store, remember to select the store to which you want to assign your page as the home page from the Current Configuration Scope selector in the upper left before you select a page in the CMS Home Page field. If you have only one store or if you want to apply this change to all your stores, you can leave the selector on its default value of Default Config.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.