Editing the Newsletter Block
Your store may includes a block that invites people to register for your newsletter. The design and position of the block varies by theme. In this example, the subscription block appears in the right sidebar of the home page. The block contains code that direct the cursor to the subscription form in the footer. If your store doesn’t include a newsletter block, you can create one by copying the code in the following example.
Note: If you disable the newsletter in your configuration, you must separately disable the newsletter block that appears in the sidebar.
Register for Our Newsletter
Step 1: Disable the Newsletter Block
- On the Admin menu, select CMS > Static Blocks.
- In the list, find the block that contains the newsletter registration form in the list, and click to open the block.
In the sample data, the “Homepage sidebar&dquo; block includes three images. If you don’t want to disable the entire block, you can either delete or “comment out” the newsletter image in the HTML.
- Set Status to “Disabled.”
- When complete, click the Save Block button.
Step 2: Make a Layout Update to the Page
The Newsletter form is generated by XML code that creates an input field for subscribers to enter their email addresses. In some themes, the code may reside in a block that is placed in the footer of your store. In other themes, the block may be placed in the sidebar of a page. The following example shows how to edit the code as a layout update to the home page.
- On the Admin menu, select CMS > Pages > Manage Content.
- In the list, click to open your home page.
- In the Page Information panel on the left, select Design.
- In the Page Layout section, scroll down to the section with the reference definitions for the right sidebar. You might find a block called “right.newsletter.callout,” with code that is similar to the following:
Layout Update Code with Subscription Input Form
<block type="core/template" name="right.newsletter.callout”
<action method="setImgAlt" translate="alt" module="catalog">
<alt>Register for our NEWSLETTER - click here
- You can change the design of the block by referencing a different image from Media Storage, and by changing the text of the message.
- To remove the newsletter callout entirely, you can either disable the block or enclose the block in comment tags, as shown below. You can restore the form at any time by removing the comment tags.
Commenting Out Layout Update Code
<block type="core/template" name=
- When complete, click the Save Page button.