Layered navigation can be used to search for products by category and also by attribute value. For example, when a shopper chooses the Apparel/Shoes category from the top navigation, the initial results include all products in the Shoes category. The list can be further limited by choosing a specific color or size, or by specifying values for both color and size. For an attribute such as “color” or “size” to be included in the layered navigation, its property settings must make it filterable.
Step 1: Set the Attribute Properties
- From the Admin menu, select Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes.
- Click to open the attribute in edit mode, and do the following:
- Scroll down to the Frontend Properties section, and set Use In Layered Navigation to one of the following:
- Filterable (with results)
- Filterable (no results)
- Set Use In Search Results Layered Navigation to “Yes.”
Step 2: Make the Category an Anchor
- From the Admin menu, select Catalog > Manage Categories.
- In the Categories panel on the left, click to open the category.
- On the Display Settings tab, set Is Anchor to “Yes.”
- Click the Save Category button.
To test the setting, go to your store and select the category from the top navigation. The selection of filterable attributes for products in the category appears in the layered navigation.