Creating Credit Memos
After an order has been paid and invoiced, all of the order, or a portion of it, can be refunded by issuing a credit memo. A credit memo differs from a refund because the amount of the credit is restored to the customer’s account where it can be applied to future purchases, rather than returned to the customer as cash. In some cases, a refund can be given at the same time that the credit memo is issued, just as a payment can be made at the time of invoicing.
To create a credit memo:
- From the Admin panel, select Sales > Order.
- Locate the order in the list and click to open the order.
- In the upper right, click the Credit Memo button. (The button appears only if an invoice has been generated for the order.)
The New Credit Memo page looks similar to the completed order page, with an Items to Refund section that lists each item from the invoice.
- Complete the following information.
Note: If an online payment method other than Google Checkout was used, you are not able to edit these fields.
- If the product is to be returned to inventory, check the Return to Stock checkbox.
Note: The Return to Stock checkbox appears only if you have set the inventory stock options to Decrease Stock When Order Is Placed. (See System > Configuration > Catalog > Inventory > Stock Options.)
If the product will not be returned to inventory, leave the checkbox blank.
- In the Qty to Refund box, type the number of items to be returned and press the Enter key to record the change and display the Update Qty’s button.
- Click the Update Qty’s button to recalculate the total. (The amount to be credited cannot exceed the maximum quanity that is available for refund.)
- In the Refund Totals section, complete the following options, as applicable:
- To add a comment to the credit memo, type the text in the Credit Memo Comments box.
- To send an email notification to the customer, do the following:
- Check the Email Copy of Credit Memo checkbox.
- If you want to include the comments you have entered, check the Append Comments checkbox.
- If you would like to receive a copy of the Credit Memo notification, enter your email address in the Send Invoice Email Copy To field.
Tip: To customize the email message that is sent, see Customizing Transactional Emails.
The status of a Credit Memo notification appears in the completed Credit Memo next to the Credit Memo number.
- To complete the process and generate the credit memo, select one of the following refund option buttons, depending on the payment type:
- Refund Offline
- Refund Online
Printing Credit Memos
Batch Printing Invoices, Packing Slips, and Credit Memos
Creating Invoices and Packing Slips for Shipments