Product and customer information can be imported directly into your store. The most common scenario is to export and edit data, and then import it back to your store. The following instructions explain how to import data from a comma-separated value (CSV) file.
Step 1: Select the Data Operation
- From the Admin menu, select System > Import/Export > Import.
- Set Entity Type to either “Products” or “Customers.”
- Select one of the following Import Behavior options:
|Append Complex Data||Adds new or edited products or customers to your store’s database. Duplicate records are not created for existing products and customers.
|Replace Existing Complex Data||Writes over and replaces existing data, but retains the same record.
|Delete Entries||Deletes existing data before importing new data.
- Click the Choose File button, and find the CSV file on your computer.
The total size of uploadable files must not exceed 110 MB and must be saved with UTF-8 encoding. Check your spreadsheet or database application documentation for information about saving a CSV file with UTF-8 encoding.
- Click the Check Data button to validate the uploaded file. Then, do one of the following:
- If the “File is valid!” message appears, the data is ready to import. Click the Import button.
- If you are notified of the errors, you can either skip the rows with errors, or correct the errors and try again. To continue importing valid data, click the Import button.
Step 2: Verify the Import
- From the Admin menu, select System > Tasks Notifications. A successful import generates a notification to confirm the import.
- Do one of the following:
- To verify imported product information, select Catalog > Manage Products. You should be able to see the changes in your catalog.
- To verify imported customer information, select Customers > Manage Customers. You should be able to see the changes to customer records.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.