Layered navigation makes it easy to find a product based on category, price range, or any other available attribute. Layered navigation usually appears in the left column of search results and category pages. The standard layered navigation includes a “Shop By” list of categories and price range.
In addition to the standard layered navigation, anchor categories display an additional section that lets you filter the list by attribute value. The attribute section of layered navigation appears when the category is set to “Is Anchor.” Each attribute can be configured to display the results, or number of matching records found. The attribute properties, combined with the product properties determine which attributes can be used as filters for layered navigation. Only those with the catalog input type of Dropdown, Multiple Select or Price can be used as filterable attributes. In addition, the number of anchor categories and filterable attributes that you have available is determined by your Magento Go plan.
Setting up anchored layered navigation is a two-step process. First of all, you need to set the attribute properties to make it available for use as a filter. Then, you need to make the category an anchor.
|Magento Go Plan||Anchor Categories||Filterable Attributes
Step 1: Set the Attribute Properties
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes.
- Click to open the attribute in Edit mode, and do the following:
- Scroll down to the Frontend Properties section, and set Use In Layered Navigation to one of the following:
- Filterable (with results)
- Filterable (no results)
- Set Use In Search Results Layered Navigation to “Yes.”
Step 2: Make the Category an Anchor
- From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Manage Categories.
- In the Categories panel on the left, click to open the category.
- On the Display Settings tab, set Is Anchor to “Yes.”
- Click the Save Category button.
- To test the setting, go to your store and select the category from the top navigation. The layered navigation with filters appear.
Configuring Layered Navigation
You can configure the way layered navigation is displayed, including the product count and price range.
For field descriptions, see: Configuration: Catalog - Layered Navigation
To configure layered navigation:
- From the Admin panel, select System > Configuratio.
- In the Configuration panel on the left, under Catalog, select Catalog.
- Click to expand the Layered Navigation section. Then, do the following:
- To display the results after each attribute, set Display Product Count to “Yes.&rdquop;
- Set Price Navigation Step Calculation to one of the following:
- For a manual calculation, enter a number in the Default Price Navigation Step field to determine how the price ranges are grouped. For example, if you enter 100, the prices will appear in groups of 100.
- When complete, click the Save Config button to save the settings.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.