Publishing Products to Google Content
Google Content gives you the ability to upload product feeds from your catalog so that your products can be easily found through Google Search. Any Simple product from your catalog can be uploaded to Google Content. The product attributes that are mapped to Google are used as search parameters by customers looking for products. After mapping the product attributes to sync with Google Content attributes, you can create a simple upload from your store to Google Shopping. To learn more, see: Defining Attribute Properties and Summary of Google Attribute Requirements.
Note: Only products of the Simple type can be uploaded from your Magento Go store to Google Content.
This article covers the following topics:
- Setting Up Your Google Accounts
- Setting Up Google Content API
- Managing Attribute Mapping
- Managing Google Content Items
Step 1: Set Up Your Google Accounts
- To begin, you must first sign up for a Google account from the Google Merchant Center at www.google.com/merchants.
- Then, create a Google Adwords account and link it to Google Shopping through your Google Merchant account.
When you have completed these steps, you can sync your Google account to Magento Go by completing the following instructions.
To set up Google Content API:
- On the Admin menu, select System > Configuration.
- In the Configuration panel on the left, under Sales, select Google API. Then, click to expand Google Shopping.
- Enter the following information from your Google account:
- Account ID
- Account Login
- Account Password
- Account Type
- Target Country
- Set Update Google Content Item When Product Is Updated to “Yes.”
The Destinations section lists the following places where your products can be listed:
- Google Product Search
- Product Ads
- Commerce Search
- For each of these destinations, select how your updates are submitted:
- Default: Your updates are submitted using the Google default settings.
- Required: If you select this setting, the update must be submitted to the required destination. If the update does not pass Google’s validation rules, you receive validation errors, and the update is not submitted for any destination.
- Excluded: The update is not submitted to this destination, but it can still be submitted to other destinations, depending on their settings.
- When complete, click the Save Config button.
Step 2: Map Product Attributes
The first step in migrating Magento Go products to Google Products is to map your Magento Go attribute sets to coincide with Google item types. You must then map the Magento Go attributes to match Google Content attributes so that Google can pull your product information.
Note: Add the attributes you would like pulled from your Magento Go products and uploaded to Google Products. In addition to the two required attributes, Product Type and Product Condition, it is strongly recommended that you add Title, Description and Price to the attribute section. For products such as cameras, adding related attributes, such as Manufacturer, provides additional ways for people to find your products in Google Content.
To manage attribute mapping:
- On the Admin menu, select Catalog > Google Content > Manage Attributes.
- Click the Add New button. Then do the following:
- In the Target Country list, select one of the following countries:
- United Kingdom
- United States
- In the Attribute Set list, select the attribute set you would like to begin mapping (for example, Cameras).
When these steps are complete, the Add New Attribute button appears in the Attribute Mapping list.
- To begin mapping attributes, click the Add New Attribute button. Then do the do the following:
- In the Attribute list, select a Magento Go attribute to map to a corresponding Google Content attribute.
- In the Google Content Attribute list, select an attribute that best matches the Magento Go attribute you just selected. (For example, Manufacturer matches Manufacturer.)
- Click the Add New Attribute button again to map another row of attributes. When you are done, your screen should look similar to the one shown here:
- Click the Save Mapping button to save your changes.
Step 3: Manage Google Content Items
After you complete your mapping, you can select the products to publish to Google Content. From this screen, you can publish, delete, and synchronize your Google Content products. After you synchronize, you are able to view the status and expiration date of your product, the number of clicks and impressions it has received, and a link to your product page.
To add Google Content items:
- On the Admin menu, select Catalog > Google Content > Manage Items.
- Click the View Available Products button to view the list of your products.
- Select the check box for each product you want to add to Google Content.
NOTE: For convenience when selecting products, you can use Select All, as well as the filter.
- When you finish selecting products, locate the Actions list in the upper-right corner and select Add to Google Content. Then click Submit.
To manage Google Content items:
- On the Admin menu, select Catalog > Google Content > Manage Items. You see an Available Products list that looks similar to the one shown here:
- From the Actions list you can do the following:
- Delete: Removes selected products from your Google Content.
- Synchronize: Lets you view the number of impressions and clicks your Google Content product has received.
Note: It takes 24 hours for a product to be published in Google Content, and the product does not immediately appear in the Manage Items list. Changes also take up to 24 hours to process.
Setting Up Google Shopping
Summary of Google Attribute Requirements
For more management options, see your Google Content Dashboard. For questions related to Terms of Service, problems with publishing, or Google Content features, see www.google.com/support/merchants/.