Purchase an SSL Certificate from a Third Party
Follow these steps if you prefer to purchase your SSL certificate for your Magento Go store from a third-party provider. For pricing, see: Secure Your Online Store with its Own SSL Certificate
Step 1: Purchase the Certificate
- Log in to your Magento account.
- From your account panel under My Products and Services, select Magento Go.
- Click Purchase SSL. Then, follow the prompts to begin the process. Your account dashboard displays the following options:
- Transfer an Existing SSL
- Purchase New SSL from 3rd Party
- Select Purchase New SSL from 3rd Party
- When prompted, complete the following information:
- Email Contact
- When complete, click the Generate CSR File button. Then, send the Certificate Signing Request to your SSL provider, according to their instructions.
Note: Make sure to let your provider know that the certificate is for an Apache server.
- When the provider receives your CSR file, they will send you the following files:
- SSL Certificate File
- Key File
- Certificate Authority (CA) File
- Save the files to your computer. Then, compress them into a single zipped archive.
Step 2: Upload Your Certificate Files
- Return to your Magento account dashboard to complete the process.
- Browse to find your zipped archive of SSL files, and click the Upload SSL button.
You are notified when the file uploads successfully. If it does not upload correctly the first time, try again.
Step 3: Change Your DNS Settings
When your SSL certificate is approved and has finished processing, the following message appears:
Required – Configure your DNS settings to point to: x.x.x.x (IP address)
The next step is to change the “A Record” of your custom URL to point to the new IP address.
- Follow the instructions provided by your domain registrar. The exact procedure may vary, depending on your DNS manager and registrar.
To learn more, see: Setting Up a Custom Domain
- Click Confirm DNS Change to certify that the “A Record” has been changed.
After confirming the DNS change, your account dashboard displays the status of your “Bring Your Own SSL” certificate.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.