Setting Up FedEx
System > Configuration > Sales > Shipping Methods > FedEx
FedEx is one of the world’s largest shipping service companies, providing air, freight, and ground shipping services with several levels of priorities. This article provides step-by-step instructions for setting up the FedEx shipping method for your Magento Go store.
Step One: Register for FedEx Web Services Production Access
You must create a FedEx merchant account and register for FedEx Web Services Production Access. After creating a FedEx account, read through the production account information page, then click the Obtain Production Key link at the bottom of the page to register and obtain a key.
Note: It is very important that you copy down or record this authentication key. You will need it to set up FedEx in your Magento Go shipping settings.
Step Two: Set Up FedEx Shipping
- In the Admin panel, select System > Configuration.
- In the Configuration panel on the left, under Sales, click Shipping Methods.
- Click to expand the FedEx section, and do the following:
- To activate the FedEx shipping method, set Enabled for Checkout to Yes.
- In the Title field, enter an appropriate title to identify this shipping method during the checkout process.
- Enter the following information from your FedEx account:
- Account ID
- Meter Number
- In the Packaging list, select the container type that you typically use to package products ordered from your store.
- In the Dropoff list, select the pick-up method that will be used for delivery. Options include:
- Regular Pickup: If you have a high volume of shipments, it can be cost effective to make arrangements with FedEx for regular pickups.
- Request Courier: You must call and request a FedEx courier to pick-up shipments.
- Drop Box: You must drop off shipments at your nearby FedEx drop box.
- Business Service Center: You must drop off shipments at your local FedEx business service center.
- Station: You must drop off shipments at your local FedEx station.
- The default Maximum Package Weight for FedEx is 150 lbs. Please consult your shipping carrier for maximum supported weight. We normally recommend leaving the value as is unless you have special arrangements with FedEx.
- A Handling Fee is an additional charge that is added to the shipping cost provided by FedEx. Adding a handling fee is optional, and is not visible during the order process.
In the Calculate Handling Fee list, select one of the following:
In the Handling Applied list, choose one of the following methods for managing handling fees:
Then in the Handling Fee field, enter the handling fee value as either a fixed amount or percentage, depending on the method used.
- Set Residential Delivery to one of the following, depending on whether you sell Business-to-Consumer (B2C) or Business-to-Business (B2B).
- Yes: For B2C deliveries
- No: For B2B deliveries
- In the Allowed Methods list, select the methods of shipment that you support. This depends on your FedEx account, the frequency and size of your shipments, and whether you allow international shipments. As the merchant, you may decide to offer only ground shipping and nothing more.
- In the Free Method option, you can select the shipping method you would like to offer to customers for no charge. You may also select None. This is similar to Free Shipping, however it is listed in the FedEx section, so customers will know exactly which method is being used for their order.
The Free Shipping with Minimum Order Amount option allows you to offer free FedEx shipping for orders that meet a minimum monetary amount. Selecting Enable from the list allows you to define the minimum amount in the field directly below. If an order does not reach the minimum amount, the FedEx shipping option will still appear in the list of shipping options, however it will be set to am amount calculated by FedEx.
- The Displayed Error Message text box is preset with a default message. You can leave this as is, or customize it as needed.
- In the Ship to Applicable Countries list, specify whether you want to enable Free Shipping to all customers, or only for those from specified countries. It is recommended that you specify in which countries you want to offer free shipping.
To specify countries, select the countries you want to include in the Ship to Specific Countries field. To make multiple selections, hold the Ctrl key down and click each option.
- To record the details of all exchanges between your Magento Go store and FedEx in a log file, set Debug to Yes.
- Set Show Method if Not Applicable to one of the following:
For example, if set to Yes, Free Shipping will appear in the list, even if the order is below your set minimum for free shipping.
- Yes: To display all shipping methods, including those not applicable, in the list.
- No: To display only applicable shipping methods in the list.
- In the Sort Order field, enter a number to determine the order that Free Shipping method appears in the list. The highest value is 0, which will put it at the top of the list.
- After you have completed the configuration, click the Save Config button to save your settings.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.