In many countries, the state, province, or region is a required part of the address. The information is used to enter shipping and billing information, to calculate tax rates, and so on. For countries where it is not required, the field can be omitted entirely from the address, or included as an optional field.
Because standard address formats vary from one country to another, you can also edit the address template that controls how the information appears on documents such as invoices and packing slips.
State Options Configuration
To configure the state:
- From the Admin menu, select System > Configuration.
- In the Configuration panel on the left, under General, select General.
- Click to expand the States Options setting, and do the following:
- In the State is required for list, select all the countries where you want the State to be a required entry. To select multiple options, hold down the Ctrl (PC) or Command (Mac) key.
- Set Display not required State to one of the following:
- Yes: In countries where the state field is not a required, your customers can optionally enter the information.
- No: In countries where the state field is not a required, the field is omitted from the form.
- When complete, click the Save Config button.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.