- Watch our easy-to-follow video tutorials for quick tips on designing and managing your store.
- View Video Tutorials
Step 2: Submit Your Sitemap to Google
To submit your sitemap:
- Go to Google Webmaster Tools and do one of the following:
- Log in to your existing account.
- Create a new account, and log in.
- Click the Add a Site button.
Add a Site
- When prompted to enter your store address, do one of the following:
Then, click Continue.
- If your store has a custom domain (mystore.com), enter the full URL (http://www.mystore.com) as your store address.
- If your store uses the shared domain (gostorego.com), enter the full URL (http://mystore.gostorego.com) as your store address.
- To verify that you are the owner of the site, click the Alternate Methods tab. Then, choose one of the following methods:
- Add a DNS record to your domain’s configuration
- Add a meta tag to your site’s home page
- To verify your site with using a meta tag, do the following:
- Open two tabs on your browser; one for Google Webmaster Central, and the other that is logged in to the Admin panel of your store.
- Follow the instructions on Webmaster Central to copy the full text of the Google site verification meta tag.
- From the Admin panel of your store, go to System > Configuration. In the Configuration panel on the left, under General, click Design.
- In the HTML Head section, scroll down to Miscellaneous Scripts, and paste the Google site verification meta tag. Then, click the Save Config button.
- Return to Google Webmaster Central, and click the Verify button.
Google Site Verification
- After your site is verified and appears in your Google dashboard, do the following:
- Click the name of your store. Then, click the Sitemaps button.
- In the upper-right corner, click the Add/Test Sitemap button.
- Return to the Admin panel of your store, and copy the path to your Google sitemap. If necessary, log back in and do the following:
- Go to Catalog > Google Sitemap.
- In the Link for Google column, right-click the link to your sitemap. Then on the context menu, click Copy Shortcut.
- Open a text editor and paste the link. Then, copy only the part that comes after the “dot com.” It should look like this:
- Return to Google Webmaster Tools and paste the text into the box to complete the address of your sitemap. Then, click the Submit Sitemap button.
Submit Google Sitemap
- Make sure that the link to your sitemap is working correctly, and that your Google dashboard shows the number of pages indexed.
- You can now restore your robots.txt file to exclude certain locations of your site, as needed. To learn more, see: “Using a Robots.txt File.”