Creating a Virtual Product, Step 2: Complete the Required Fields
The basic set of required fields must be completed before the virtual product can be saved. The Product Information panel groups related fields by topic, and the required fields are marked with a red asterisk (*). The process is nearly the same as for a simple product, however because virtual products aren’t shipped, there are no Weight or Use Gift Card fields.
Note: If your store has the sample data installed, your selection of required fields may be slightly different from what is described.
Step 2: Complete the Required Fields
- On the General tab, complete the required fields as follows:
- Type the product Name as you want it to appear in all catalog listings.
- In the Description box, type the main description that will appear on the Product View page.
- Type a Short Description of the product.
- Assign a unique SKU for the product.
- Set Status to “Enabled.”
- Set Visibility to “Catalog, Search.”
- On the Prices tab, complete the required fields as follows:
- Enter the Price that you want to charge for the product.
- Set Tax Class to identify the appropriate tax classification for the product.
- Although not a required field, the product must be assigned to a category to be visible in your store. To assign the product to a category, do the following:
- In the Product Information panel on the left, select Categories.
- In the category tree, click to expand the section where the item belongs.
- Select the checkbox of each category where you want the product to appear.
- If your store has multiple views, the product must be assigned to each store view where it is available for sale. (This option appears only if multiple store views are available.) To assign the product to a store view, do the following:
- In the Product Information panel on the left, select Websites.
- On the Website tab, select the checkbox of each website where the product is available for sale.
- After completing these steps, click the Save and Continue button.
The product should now be visible from the assigned category page of your store catalog. Until a product image is available, a placeholder image appears in its place.
Still have questions? Submit them below and they'll be answered by our expert support team.
Like what you read? Drop us a note with your feedback below.